Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Fresh House Restaurant, Locust NC

Well, until last week I did not even know there was a Locust, NC, let alone a Fresh House Restaurant.  Thank goodness for a lunch appointment that landed me there.

When you walk in you're greeted by a wave of nostalgia for a time before your time and given a taste of what Cracker Barrel may have been had it remained local and not established itself at every other exit on the highway.

You walk into a quaint general store stocked up with Old School Authentic Antique Foods made just down the road in Albemarle NC (got to love a place that keeps it local!).  They offer everything from old fashioned cookie mix, to licorice whips...and something I didn't quite understand, chocolate babies.  Don't have time to stay for lunch?  They sell homemade ice cream and baked goods in the store.

The restaurant is a collection of rooms and a real treat in southern cuisine.  After dinner at a friend's house a couple weeks ago, I have become hopelessly addicted to Grilled Pimento Cheese Sandwiches.  Oh wow, did they ever deliver on my newest indulgence!  As if they already knew I was a girl that loved a little kick in her food, they added jalapenos!  What a delight, though for those who don't care for the extra sizzle, they do offer it without the jalapenos.  I had to pair it with macaroni and cheese (when I eat down-home southern I go all in). 

Should you ever find yourself anywhere near Locust, NC go to Fresh House.  It would be a crime to your tastebuds to not.

2 comments: