Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Wren, Beaufort SC

Oh Beaufort, SC, what a charming town you are!  A beautiful mix of restaurants and shops, running along a river, where life seems to move slow as molasses, and it should.  As soon as you step onto the sidewalk of Beaufort, all stress and anxiety just swoosh out of you and a mellow feeling overtakes you.  When I'm there I just want to sit on a front porch, drink lemonade, and smile at the neighbors.

The mellow feeling follows you into Wren, a great restaurant for lunch or dinner.  When you walk in, you find a mix of long tables as well as some smaller ones and an eclectic collection of chairs.  There is a nice long bar to eat at (my preferred seating when dining alone).  Now, when you go, just remember I told you this is a slow-moving town (and I mean this with the utmost respect...we hurry along too much these days), and with that, you may be looking forward to a long and leisurely meal.  And wow, the food is worth it!

I often utilize Wren for catering orders and I love that no matter if I order the same thing each time, it is just a bit different every time it comes.  Their sandwiches are amazing and funnily enough the vegetarian one is the one that disappears the quickest, even at a table full of carnivores.  It's a tomato mozzarella sandwich, that can only be described as an explosion of summer in your mouth.  It's tomato, mozzarella, pesto, and what I believe may be some type of vinaigrette dressing.  I can't quite figure out how they make it to replicate it at home, but perhaps that's part of the reason Wren has intoxicated me and has me driving out of my way to eat lunch in Beaufort.   But it may just be Beaufort.

No comments:

Post a Comment